Baruipur Municipality : South 24 Parganas : West Bengal  


 Stop using less than 40 micron plastic carry bag

 Search Text


Sri Shakti Roy Chowdhury



Rabindra Bhaban

     
Demographic and Social profile
Baruipur is a sub-divisional town of the district of South 24-Parganas situated on the banks of Tolly’s canal at the crossing of Diamond Harbour and Lakshmikantapur between Kolkata and Sunderbans. According to common belief, the name was derived from the word ‘Barui’ which means betel planter. Its geographical location is 20° 30′ latitude North and 88° 25′ longitude East. Baruipur became a sub-division in 1858. Earlier, it was part of a sub-division, which was basically a sub-division created during the British regime for collection of taxes under a collector. The land is bounded on the north by Sonarpur, south by Jainagar, east by Canning and west by Bishnupur. During those days it was well known for its indigo plantation. Baruipur municipality covers an area of 9.07 Sq.Km. only.
Baruipur Municipality is located at the extreme southern side of Kolkata Metropolitan Area. Railway line has connected this municipality with Kolkata and southern part of South 24 Pgs. Garia – Baruipur Road or Kulpi Road is one of the major roads, which has connected the area with Kolkata and North 24 Pgs through E.M Bye Pass. Other major roads like Madarat Road, Dhabdhabi Road, Canning Road connected the area with eastern part and Amtala Road has linked it with the adjacent western part.
A brief look into the municipality
 
Category of ULB
D
 
ULB Address
Kulpi road , Baruipur, Kolkata - 144
 
Municipality website/email id
www.baruipurmunicipality.org.in/barui_07@yahoo.com
 
Subdivision
Baruipur
 
District
South 24 Parganas
 
Area of Town:
9.07 sq km
 
No of Ward:
17
 
Population:
53191(2011)
 
Total no of Household
13403
 
Decadal growth rate
18.29%
 
Year of Establishment of Local Government
1869
 
No of Slums
64
 
Total Population of Slums
12302
 
No of Holdings
13418 (2001)
 
Government Hospital
1
 
Name of the State / National High Way
1
 
No of Industrial Units
3
 
No. of Market
5
 
Parks
5
 
Literacy School
Nil
 
No. of Government Primary School
17
 
Municipality School
Nil
 
No. of High School
4
 
No Child Labour Education centre
Nil
 
% of Literacy
87.3%
 
College
Nil
 
 
Some other demographic features of the municipality are as given below –
 
Sex Ratio: -
The sex ratio of the municipality 964: 1000 (2001 census) which is slightly higher than national average ie 947:1000 (2001 census)
Literacy Rate: -
Percentage of literate in the ULB is 87.3% and the rest 12.7 % is illiterate. (2001 census)
Child Population: -
The percentage of minor population in this ULB is 11.6 %.( 2001 census)